Thursday, April 10, 2014

HEART WORM ALERT

It's finally spring and mosquitoes are out.  Mosquitoes transmit heartworms to dogs and cats.  Heartworms can be deadly for our pets, eventually causing right sided heart failure in dogs and possibly sudden death in cats.

Heartworm testing is quick and easy and if negative, prevention can be started right away.  Prevention options include monthly oral and six month injectable for dogs and monthly topical for cats.

Please call the office with any questions or for an appointment.

 

APRIL SPECIAL

FREE HEARTWORM TEST ($40 VALUE)
 WITH THE PURCHASE OF 6 MONTHS HEARTWORM PREVENTION
 
 
 
 

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Annual Relay for Life Dog Wash









When:  April 12th, 2014
Where:  Lincolnton Animal Hospital
Time:  2:00 - 4:00

Asking Donation
Dogs under 40 pounds $10.00
Dogs over 40 pounds $15.00

All proceeds go to the American Cancer Society





Tuesday, February 11, 2014


Gastrointestinal Foreign Bodies

Dogs have been known to swallow bones, toys, sticks, stones, pins, needles, wood splinters, cloth, rubber balls, rawhide, leather, string, peach pits, and other objects. With string, one end often knots up while the other gets caught in food. Tension on the string then causes it to cut through the wall of the bowel. Swallowing pennies will not usually cause an obstruction, but can lead to zinc toxicity as the metal leaches out of the coins. Batteries can also cause toxicity when swallowed.
The esophagus of the dog is larger than the outlet of his stomach. Thus, dogs may swallow objects that are too large to pass out of the stomach. Gastric foreign bodies are therefore associated with chronic gastritis and episodes of gastric outflow obstruction.
If an object makes it into the small intestine, it may pass through the entire GI tract without causing problems. Those that do cause an obstruction usually do so at the ileocecal valve or in the colon and rectum. Foreign bodies in the rectum cause anorectal obstructions. Sharp objects such as pins, splinters, and bone chips can lodge anywhere in the GI tract and obstruct or perforate the bowel, causing intestinal obstruction or peritonitis.
Unless it also causes indigestion, a swallowed foreign body will go unnoticed until it produces symptoms. Many foreign bodies can be seen on X-rays of the abdomen if they are radio-opaque. A contrast study may be needed to identify foreign bodies that are not visible on X-rays.
Treatment: Foreign bodies that produce symptoms should be removed. This usually involves abdominal surgery. Gastric foreign bodies can sometimes be removed through an endoscope.
 
 
 

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Is my pet overweight?

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Halloween Costume Contest

 
 
 
Email us a picture of your pet's favorite costume to:
 
 
 
The winner will receive a choice of:
 
 
$50.00 credit on their account
 
or
 
Free bath with 1 dose of Vectra 3D
 
 
Submit your photo from October 1st - 24th.
 
We will post them on Facebook starting the 25th.
 
The pet with the most likes will be the winner.
 
Winner will be announced Halloween Day.
 
 

Thursday, June 20, 2013

TICKS 101


Don't be left in the dark about vector borne disease.

While Lyme disease is well known, it certainly isn't the only disease that dogs or people can contract from ticks.

In addition to Lyme disease, ticks also carry ehrlichiosis, anaplasmosis, Rocky Mountain spotted fever and others.  There's simply no way for pet owners to tell if a tick is carrying disease or not and it only takes one tick bite to infect your dog.  Also, some ticks are known to carry more than one of these diseases, which can lead to multiple infections, or co infection.  What's common among all vector borne disease, however, is that symptoms can be vague and difficult to recognize.  Often many pet owners don't know their dog is suffering from a debilitating tick disease until it's too late.
Humans and other non canine family members can also become infected with the same tick borne diseases as dogs.  These cross species diseases are known as zoonotic.  So, if you live in an area with tics or if you've ever found a tick on your dog, you should also be sure to check yourself and your family.


Picnic Safety

Nothing says summer like an old fashioned barbecue.  BUT with them comes a chance of illness or injury  for your pet.

FOOD - barbecue chicken, ribs, and steaks contain bones which can splinter and lodge somewhere in the esophagus or intestines.  Corncobs and peach pits can cause problems as well.

BEES or WASPS - Their sting can be minor or send your dog or cat into shock.

CHILDREN - more children are bitten by dogs, (usually a family or known dog) during the summer months.  This is due to more activity so keep an eye out for aggressive triggers.

BARBECUES - some dogs will try to steal food from the barbecue and can suffer burns on their paws from the hot surface, or swallowing very hot food.

HEATSTROKE - the signs of heatstroke include excessive panting, dark or brights red tongue and gums, staggering, stupor, seizure, or vomiting.  If you suspect heat stroke get your dog to your veterinary hospital or an emergency hospital right away.  Dots with short noeses such as bulldogs or pugs, and heavy coated dogs are more subject to heatstroke.