2. Beware of insect bites. Most of the time an insect sting is just painful and irritating. Getting stung several times, or inside the mouth or throat, is dangerous. The subsequent swelling can close your dog's throat and block their airway. Call or take your pet to your veterinarian if you see this type of reaction.
3. Talk to your veterinarian about flea and tick prevention.
4. Heartworm is a common problem for dogs. Make sure your dog has yearly heartworm testing and stays on prevention all year.
5. Lawn and garden products may be hazardous. Keep these products out of your pet's reach.
6. No matter how careful and responsible we are, accidents happen. Make sure your pet has a microchip or identification on their collar. And make sure your family members know the phone number to your veterinarian.
7. Never leave your dog outside without shade or fresh water.
8. NEVER LEAVE YOUR PET IN A CAR.